Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
Originally Posted by 440lebaron
back in the days they put aluminum foil back side of bearing to tighten up smile

When I was a kid I watched my dad working on a Chevy 6 cyl .. he had spun a rod bearing(pretty sure
it was a rod).. he pulled the bearing and lowered the crank ... he got some emery paper at a hardware
and smoothed out the crank(as good as you can by hand.. cut a chunk of his belt off.. enough for a
upper and lower bearing and put it back together using the old oil.. had to add a couple of qts of oil
but we made it back home .. this was on our Deer hunting trip about 140 miles from home... he got another
junk yard engine when we got home.. I pretty much said I was gonna become a mech at that point
wave

Chevy 6's had babbit rod bearings into the early 50's. That was a very common roadside repair in the days of babbit bearings. Insert bearing made it more difficult because the insert was a lot thinner so the leather that thin wouldn't last long. But, if your choice is make the repair or walk home...

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to make roadside repairs like that today? But today's car are usually much more reliable.

Last edited by HemiSportFury; 05/06/21 08:07 PM.

'64 Sport Fury, 528 Hemi, FiTech EFI, 4-speed, 4.10 Dana 60
'57 Belvedere 2dr sedan, current project in process
'19 Cherokee Trail Hawk Elite
'03 Ram 2500 CTD HO, 6-speed 214,000 miles and still going strong