Originally Posted by moparx
i'm not going to start a debate here. everything was ported up to around 74ish [?], then, if i REMEMBER correctly [???] there were trees on the rear of the intake manifold that went to a vacuum "enhancer", then to a temperature sensor in the water pump housing, then to the carb, then to the distributor and vacuum pots controlling the air filter snorkel flaps.
i just looked at a 440 out of a 78 newyorker, and a 400 from a 76 newport [both with thermoquads] that are on my shelf, and that is the way they have the myriad of vacuum hoses ran. they were this way when removed, and i just left everything as was just to keep the holes plugged.
i "think" this started in 74, because i remember the round multi-port "vacuum enhancer" on the china wall of my wife's 74 charger with a 400/727 combo.
remember, this is for the big blocks. i don't remember, nor have, any small blocks to compare.
so manifold through temperature [wax pellet] senders to ported.
i don't know what this setup could be correctly categorized.
beer

Still ported vacuum not straight, all those connections were used so engine got to operating temp first. Look at the advance ‘can’ on a mopar distributor. They ALL pull the plate in the timing advance direction so IF it’s manifold ported it would be in wrong direction, give it gas it drops, let off it advances, backward! Chevy was like that, had one, 70-1/2 Z28