Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
I ran a 16 volt battery many many years ago before it was the cool thing to do. They were made in New Castle Pa and rarer to find then Hens teeth. I was always afraid of it going bad at one of the long race weekends I raced at so I took a good Sears Platinum 12 volt battery with me to a test n tune one night. I ran 8.66 with the 16 volt and 8.66 with the 12 volt battery. And this was before I was smart enough to run an alternator. I ran the 16 volt for another year till it was getting older and never ran one since. There’s one sitting in the heads up car I bought five years ago that will be getting pulled out to. We were all in a hurry to pull our alternators out of our cars 35 plus years ago and it was the stupidest thing we could have ever done. Lol 😂

I manage a battery distributorship and we are two miles from the dragstrip. Its rare but we get the occasional panicked call of someone looking for a 16 volt battery. The only way we have to make 16V is two 8V golf cart batteries, no one has been that desperate yet.

I suppose its probably not a big deal to convert to 12 volt for a weekend if you are carb'd? An EFI car might have an issue if they didn't have good injector data entered.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340