Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Originally Posted by mgoblue9798
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
I don't know if I have the exact number saved anywhere but yes I think it was around 11 to 1, still didn't ping audibly on 87 octane pulling a 65 dart on an open trailer up those big passes coming out of LA in the heat. Premium wasn't even needed in that thing. Ultra tight quench really works to keep down knock. I would liked to have pushed it higher but you can't mill a magnum any more than that without getting into the intake valve seat.

My current daily driver is a 4 door 4wd ram with 6.4 SRT8 short block with eagle heads, that has very high compression also around 11.5 I think and not very tight quench but does need premium and gets 20mpg doing 75 on the highway. Right now I am building a 6.4 SRT8 long block with 5.7 eagle cam for my 2011 ram 2500, I am going to zero deck the pistons to bump compression, (already milled the heads .020 to get closer to the eagle chamber size) and quench on this one, and am running the BGE head this time (same ports as SRT8 butt with faster heat conducting aluminum alloy and sodium ex valves) this truck will replace the current 1500 and I expect nearly the same MPG.

Couple of questions for you sir. If port size has so little to do with mileage and driveability in a carb application, then why do larger port single plane intakes kill the bottom end on street motors? Again only talking carb motors here.

Also, based upon your experience would there be a difference in running .030 v/s .040 quench in my engine? I guess it would depend upon how much more piston rock my 4.35 bore short block has if I can get by with that little.

I think those big single planes kill TQ more because of port length being very short and the fact they are usually on engines with very big cams, the ports on my 392 in my ram are humongous but it has loads of TQ down low.

I don't know HRD. I have tried torker intakes on two small blocks street engines before I knew better. Wound up being a horrible mismatch of parts and absolutely killed any bottom end. I have also put 360 heads on a smog dog 318 with similar results. I am just skeptical based on these past experiences. I have used a street dominator before with a little cam and headers and had much better luck, I suspect because it has a lot smaller runner volume than the torker. I am going to give my frankenmotor a try with the 413 heads and see what i can do. I am going to estimate 500 ft tlbs of torque from 2000 or a little higher to a little more than 4000 rpm- exactly the range where I will be using the engine. I don't see the need to spin the engine up any higher, as that torque is higher than the first couple cummins models in dodge trucks put out.

As far as the high compression build, I have followed your posts through the years since you did the mileage experiments with your old a body barracuda. If you say you ran 11 to one I am sure you did. Magnum combustion chamber is a much better layout than my 413 cylinder heads though. I am going to try to run compression up on my 340 build with some closed chamber heads- either EQ or Eddies I have not decided.

In your mileage experiments did you ever test out any type of anti reversion chamber or muffler, or try to tune header/collecter length to achieve some type of anti reversion?

413 chamber motor home.jpg
Last edited by mgoblue9798; 04/26/21 08:20 PM.