Mother Nature will always win. All I can do is try to manage what I'm dealt.

There is no way I will ever keep up with the flooding. All I can do is minimize the damage.

For what it's worth, I did raise the back yard a few inches about ten years ago. When I dug out the forms for the shop foundation I spread the spoil across the back yard. That helped a little and I only get 6-7 inches of standing water now. Luckily, if it gets much higher than that the water will flow around the house and out to the street.

It seldom rains all day in DFW. Instead, we normally get the heavy storms that blow through and dump massive amounts of rain in a very short time. In the example I listed, the pump was overrun in about 15 minutes and had 4 inches of water over the pump basin with about 8 inches of water at the catch basins. That storm lasted 45 minutes and took 5 hours of continuous pumping to evacuate. After catching up, the pump cycled for a couple days removing ground water.

The incident that caused me to install the pump was having water get into my shop. The rain was so heavy that the yard flooded with water going around the house and managed to still get just high enough to make a puddle that went 2 feet out from the wall inside the shop.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon