Originally Posted by Satilite73

There is also the Roaring Fork Motor Trail in Gatlinburg. Several old cabins and very beautiful drive,....

This road is seasonal as I found out the hard way. I was last up there in April 2019, and this road wasn't slated to open until May (if I remember correctly). Check before you go.

Cades Cove is beautiful, but when you go makes a huge difference. First time I went in 2015, was on a weekend, and it was a rolling parking lot. The road is one way and single lane, so there's no taking an alternate route. Bumper to bumper the whole way. Fast forward a few years, tried it again in 2019, mid-week, very light traffic.

Definitely check out Garret's.

I've been to this area 3 times, and each time there was a reason why I couldn't 'explore' as much as I wanted to. Looking forward to going back when I can just wander at my own pace.

Good points, John. Most of our trips are either in the spring or early fall. One time we were up there Roaring Fork was closed due to storm damage. And we only go to Cades Cove on weekdays. Last time up may have been early spring as there is a one-way road out of Cades Cove that takes you back to 129 (Tail of the Dragon part) that I wanted to drive. It was either seasonably closed or closed due to storm damage also. Hopefully next time up we make it down it. up

Tim

'71 Charger 383/727
'17 Challenger SXT (Wifeys car wink )