Originally Posted by bee1971
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Most '71 GTX's you ever see are 440-4 cars - that was the standard engine. Same with '71 Charger R/T's.

However once many years ago, I was presented with a rare one for $1700.00. A genuine U-code 1971 Super Bee Charger. I was pumping gas for my job, & a guy in probably his late 20's comes in with his wife & baby in his Bahama Yellow 71 Super Bee. The car was NICE - no rust. I asked him if it was for sale? He said - "yep - it's not a good family car - $1700.00." That kind of $$ back then to me may as well been a million.

I always wondered how 26 supposedly left the factory with an engine that’s wasn’t even an option

So how would a dealer even request or price that out ?

Indeed! I did not know it until years later that the 440-4bbl was not available in the '71 Bees, yet some were built with it. This particular car had the brown interior too - just like my '71 R/T that I bought in Dec. of 1980. It was an auto/console car. AND I recall it had the louvered hood. There were a lot of interesting musclecars around the Detroit area back in the mid-late 70's, but it was hard to find something unless you just happened to know of a car, or if it became for sale in a local paper. Much more limited communications back then. If you were looking for something, it was hard to find! There were not all kinds of muscle just prowling the streets on any given day - you mostly saw stuff like LTD's & Impalas, Mavericks & Pintos, etc.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified