Originally Posted by poorboy
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Originally Posted by AZ67Dart

I think I will go to a yearly, about 2000 miles, oil and filter change schedule.

No. This has been beat to death on here and elsewhere.

I have trailer queens with oil 15, 18 years old and maybe 500 miles on them. Oil is still clean, I'm not changing them any time soon. No issues. I have beaters that maybe get an oil change every 20,000 miles, and for whatever reasons: zero issues.

It's been in the ground for millions of years, it can be in your oil pan for a million more if it's not getting used. Oil does not "break down".

You can believe the Snake Oil commercials all you like, but I'm sure not going to dump perfectly good (and expensive) oil on my neighbors' lawn.

Well, to a point. Oil does pick up contaminants as time and miles roll on, especially with vehicles that only see short trips and often don't reach operating temps for long enough periods of time to burn off the contaminants. If your vehicle runs for 30 minutes after it reaches operating temp, the oil will last a long time. If it only runs 10 minutes at a time and gets shut off for hours afterwards, the oil picks up a lot of junk the can damage your engine, you need to change the oil and the oil filter.
Also, the oil itself does not break down, but the additives in the oil can. As the additives in the oil break down, it can cause engine wear, how much additional wear may be subject to question. Will there be enough wear to cause an engine failure? Don't know. Most engines are designed to run a lot of miles, but some don't last nearly as long as others of the same design, why is that? Gene

If you are really going to lose sleep over oil with a few hundred miles on it, pull an oil sample and then fill up a new filter and spin it on. Send the sample out and follow their recommendations for change intervals. They monitor acidity and moisture levels as well as fuel dilution etc. The make up oil you add/fill the new filter with will more than keep your additive package current.

Kevin