I don't use any store bought mixes as the wife has high blood pressure so I avoid high fructose corn syrup for my blood sugar, and as much sodium as possible when cooking. We make most everything from scratch and the fresher the better.
I also like the Wendy's chili and this recipe can get you that consistency but with more flavors and lower sodium.

Super simple recipe and you can make it as mild or as hot as you want.
1 lb ground beef or two boneless chicken breasts
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 large onion chopped
4 green onions chopped stalks and all
Parsely
Oregano
3-4 garlic cloves crushed and then chopped
Basil
1 can crushed tomatoes the larger 24oz? can
1 jar regular or spicy V8 juice. (You can get low sodium versions of either)
2-3 teaspoons chili powder to taste
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2-4 cans of dark and light kidney beans depending on how much you want to make. 2 cans should be enough for 4 people or 2 people twice. It does freeze well.

Saute the celery and onions in little olive oil just enough, maybe 1-2 tablespoons but not more than 3, in a stock pot until clear, brown the beef or chicken in a skillet and drain. Add the cooked meat to the stock pot. Stir in the can of tomatoes and all the other ingredients then add the V8 juice to get the desired consistency. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for at least 20 minutes.
This is a pretty mild chili so you can add more chili powder, cayenne or even green chilis or some slices of jalapenos to it to suit your taste. One note is the longer it simmers the spicier it gets so if you don't like it too spicy start cautiously.

I also rinse the kidney beans well and soak them in cold water for at least 20 minutes before cooking.

EDIT: I looked back at my recipe and you can add red pepper flakes as well, mine includes a 1/2 teaspoon. I rarely measure anything when cooking so it comes out a little different each time, lol, except for pepper varieties. You can always add more but can't take it away. If you find you made it too spicy you could always add another can of beans and more regular V8 juice to water it down.

Last edited by Guitar Jones; 02/18/21 03:51 PM.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.