Originally Posted by mopars4ever
Would you consider a Drag Racer a athlete ?

SOME, but a very, very small percentage....................and that seems to be at the very highest level of national competition. I wouldn't lump the "Street Outlaws" or the "Fastest Car in the Dirty South" drag races into the "Athlete" column, shoot I'd bet most all of them would get winded in a pick up softball game laugh2

I'm good friends with a current top level Supercross and motocross competitor and champion whose training regiment is so over the top as are almost all of the competitors in that sport. His dad was a former Mopar NHRA Super Stock drag racer and even at his (dad's) best in physical shape point wouldn't last one lap on a motocross track with his son. His son on the other hand wouldn't have an issue running an entire head to head season against his dad at the strip. Even the mental strength of competition is improved by physical training so it would seem that drag racers if they were very serious would start to physically train more (or even start to) to improve their game. That's why I'm sure the top level drag racers physically train to improve their mental game over their competition.

athlete

ˈath-ˌlēt

noun

a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina