We flew the first airplanes, built the first atomic reactor, and went to the moon with paper, pencil, and slide rules.

Almost all of the first “drafting and mapping” was related to ancient mining.
The first “railroads” were built inside mines so that women and children could push ore carts and leave the men to dig.

President Herbert Hoover
aka “The Doctor for Sick Mines” in China and Australia,
felt so strongly about this that he personally translated the 450 year old book “De Re Metallica” from Latin to English in his spare time for relaxation.

I think kids should be taught a semester of mechanical drafting to “improve their 3D thinking.“
I think kids should be taught “long hand” cursive writing and sentence structure to improve their speaking skills like Winston Churchill was given 3 times (he flunked it twice).
I think kids should get a one hour class on how a 3 foot in diameter “circular slide rule” works like I was given in PSSC Chemistry in 1970. The teacher then gave each of the students a 3 inch plastic circular slide rule he paid for out of his own pocket.
In 1974 a beloved engineering professor Audrey Palmer had an eight foot long straight slide rule on the side wall of the classroom and would walk over and patiently slide out calculations.

We are dinosaurs.