I've done several Dakota full frame and front frame clips in my time. The best Dakota frames to use are the 1988 to 1996, but is getting pretty hard to find those frames that are still in good enough condition to make the frame swap worth the effort. Make no mistake, doing a frame or even a front clip swap is a lot of work.

If your current front suspension is complete and in good condition, I suggest you keep it and upgrade to the disc brakes, relocating the upper shock mount, a Jeep sway bar, and adding a steering rack. It will be easier, and can be done over a single winter if you have the parts lined up. Spend your effort on upgrading the rear end and the rear suspension. You will need to install a more modern rear axle because the 53/54 E brake was attached to the back of the trans you will be replacing, and the rear end will need to have the E brake many states require.

When your installing the LA motor, you will probably find the truck oil pan works best. I don't believe its much harder to install a 5.7 Hemi these days then it is to install an LA small block. I do also hope you will consider an EFI installation as well on which ever motor you go with. Gene