Originally Posted by GTX4spd
Originally Posted by klunick
[quote=azblackhemi]If he's not looking for a rare in demand muscle car or other highly desirable classic B-J or Mechum auctions do have some good deals. When you hear about Barrett Jackson prices being crazy high they are on the Hemi Cuda's, Boss 429's Bugatti's etc. they are. However on the regular cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's there are good deals to be had. As a regular attendee of Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale I look at the sale prices on cars that went over the block on Tuesday - Friday and find quite a few that went for a lot less money than the restoration cost. A lot of nicer cars selling in the high teens to high 20's. I know now with Covid it might not be an option but it will end eventually. [/quote

I agree, There is a Mecum's auction up in Harrisburg in August. My brother-in-law wants to get into the hobby. I suggested he go to the Kissimmee Auction on Wednesday/Thursday and watch the cars that are going through and the prices. Anything on Friday/Sat is going to be pricey. Pick 5 cars to watch, look them over beforehand and estimate what they might go for. I'm always amazed at the nice cars and prices on these early auctions.

Look them over beforehand VERY carefully! I drove cars through a Mecum auction in Indy several years ago & was shocked at how most of them were mechanically garbage, even though they had fresh, pretty paint & stripes, etc. one that has always stood out in mind was a Ranchero that according to the Marti Report was one-of-six. Outwardly a very sharp looking car, but while idling, parked, it would occasionally make a noise that sounded like a bad ball joint. Never got a handle on what the noise actually was but was amused when the seller walked up while I was waiting to take it to the ring & he mentioned that there were a few things that maybe I should know! I looked at him & said “I think I’m beginning to find out”. Most of the cars I drove their were basically junk with fresh paint. Really shattered my image of those high-dollar auctions.

iagree
And will add a lot of times the reason they are at an auction is THERE IS NO RECOURSE on the sale PERIOD!!! One might get lucky but the odds are not in their favor based on my 20 + years of having to tell people they shouldn't have bought what they did. it's not a pleasant experience for either of us twocents beer