i rarely have sprayed Omni single stage so i can't comment on if it dies back.
the largest cause of paint failures is LACK OF FILM BUILD. you need at least 2 mils of film build for proper durability. it sprays on at about 1.2 mil per coat. once you sand and buff it you will probably end up with less than 2 mils. i have always used 3 coats and never have had a problem with it.

my biggest experience is with using Omni MC270. i have been spraying approximately 1 GALLON OF IT A WEEK for about 15 maybe 20 years on warranty GM paint delams and other budget work. our shop sprays it on every VW warranty rust repair for the last 10 years and never had a complaint about durability .our shop goes thru about 2 gallons a WEEK of it. we spray it over preimun PPG base coat. first over DBU, then DBC and now envirobase. we have been painting in a downdraft baking booth. i have painted it in a garage and air dried it somewhat regularly in the past and have been pleased with the results. i add a little PPG DX84 enhancer and this improves cure time and durability in a air dry situation. as i posted before you will need good film build for durability.

a little history about this Clear. in my opinion it's basically reformulated DAU82 clear coat. this was PPG best clear in the early 80's. it has been surpassed by higher solids clear used today.

as far as poor coverage with the base coat. i haven't sprayed it Omni BC much. but from my experiences as i posted before CHECK WITH THE supplier if the color is a BC/ CC formula or if it's converted . if it's converted it will be poor covering color. i painted my 72 Hemi Road Runner with Omni from the epoxy primer on the bare metal thru the clear coat, it was all 100% Omni products, and it held up well in the 10+ years i owned it.

perception is 90% of reality