Originally Posted by 71TA

What are your 541 specs?

I'm playing with the 440 Source 543 kit (measures 541). My plan was to build it into a torque monster that still had a full conventional rpm range. It's going in a 5300 lb Imperial running 3.23 gears and power everything so street manners and are important. It should also be relatively low maintenance and reliable, too.

I called cam grinders and received answers that were all over the place. I've received suggestions that run from 230 duration well into the 250s. Lift suggestions are ranging from .540 to .630 but the heads might not accommodate that. I had settled on the Comp 236/242 hyd roller with .544/.541 lift but received a good suggestion and will look into that before dropping the money.

When I get the opportunity, I'll mock up the engine in the car and check for hood clearance. If possible, I'll run the intake off my TT440. It's the bottom half of a Weiand tunnel ram topped with a 390 cubic inch plenum and a forward facing 1700 cfm throttle body. A Holley Terminator will run fuel and spark. If I can't get that to fit I'll have to go back to a Performer RPM, throttle body injection, and a drop base air cleaner. That would move the torque curve 300 rpm earlier and cost about 30 hp up top.

I'll complete it with heavily ported Eddy RPM heads, TTi headers and 3" exhaust. I plan on having a relatively quiet exhaust note and opening some cutouts when I feel silly.

I've used Dynosim6 to model the engine. It doesn't do part throttle and idle quality well but I can get an idea what the build might do. Right now, it's rolling in well over 500 lb/ft at 2000 rpm and carrying 600 lb/ft from 3100 to 4900, 400 hp by 3400, 500 hp by 4100, and topping at 570 hp at 5200. If I can achieve those numbers I'll be happy.

I've attached the graph and table from the simulator.

541 dyno.jpg541 table.jpg

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon