Originally Posted by 360view
Some of the 18 wheel trucks now use fan clutches that you can engage or disengage electrically.
I would not mind trying one of those.

I liked my experiments running without any radiator fan,
except the one time I hit a near traffic stall on an Atlanta ring road
during hot weather when I wanted the AC to have airflow while barely inching along.

Mack has had that since at least 1980. I would turn the fan on when going down hill and use it for braking and max cooling then over-ride the fan and shut it off when climbing the other side. Yes, I said "braking": that's how much power that fan is making when it's locked up. Speaking of brakes, if the water temp was too much and you still had hill left to climb and had to switch the fan back on, it was like tapping the brake. blush

I took my fans off all my Rams. One has an electric and I never use it. But, I don't have gridlock to deal with either.

Carry on with your debate about clutch vs solid...........I'll stick with my electric or no fan at all. Less water pumps to replace too because that heavy turd is not beating on that little bicycle bearing that's in the water pump (which fails every time)

And Joel, yes, I agree with you the electric fan looks stupid on a vintage car, especially to folks like you and I that appreciate a stock appearance. But the benefits out-weigh the esthetics. Hide it inside the rad shroud, that's what I do.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".