Originally Posted by Mr Potatohead
Thank you for correcting me, So I got it backwards?

I have a gen 1 assembly line crate motor 405hp? I thought the older had the hypers vs the newer.

Originally Posted by SNK-EYZ
Originally Posted by Mr Potatohead
The late Gen 1s have the forged internals, earlier did not. Might keep that in mind.

Incorrect.

All 1992 to 1999 Viper engines had forged internals (pistons,crank, etc).

2000 was the first year they used cast hyperutectic (sp) pistons in the engines.
That's why those cars have the nickname "cream puffs".
They actually run great and are just as fast, but you don't want to add boost or add nitrous them without a piston change.

Gen 1 engines were rated at 400 hp til 1995, in 1996 they upped it to 415 when they moved the exhaust to rear exit. (engine is exactly the same).

The downfall of the Gen 1 engines is the wet sleeve block design.
The cylinder sleeve are directly exposed to the coolant and have a tendency just like the head gaskets to leak (much like the Neons had a head gasket problem).
The replacement head gaskets cure the head gasket problem. When the head gaskets start breaking down it allows the cylinder liners to start to move which causes problems.

The Gen 2 (1996 GTS and all model from 87 on) were rated at 450 hp and the engine was then a dry sleeve block design which cured a lot of internal engine cooling system issues.

The Gen 2 engine is a much better design.

Last edited by SNK-EYZ; 12/11/20 08:04 PM.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol