Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Originally Posted by dart4forte
Damn, I did M1 tanks for 7 years and they paid me to do it.

My employer produced the Abrams M1/M1A1/M1A2 turret electronics for Chrysler Defense, also sole supplier, I was the only employee gifted to handle the task start to finish, phenomenal volume of work for years...hope the system performed in the field as intended?.....and they paid me to do it!..lol!

I was also developing the sensor material at the same time for my employer for Chrysler's future air bag technology/production..... Ahhh the days when we actually made stuff in this country!

Mike

Wow, Mike I never knew... but then again we never talked 'tanks'... This is a stretch, but maybe you'd know: Was there a wind-speed/direction sensor mounted on the turret? My dad was a specialized engineer contracted to DARPA a number of years ago, I'm thinking late 80's. He was tasked with developing a highly reliable and shockresistant sensor system that could instantaneously measure windspeed/direction. He couldn't tell us more than that, but I caught snippets of the development and came to suspect it was for the Abrams' fire control system. A prototype I once saw at the workshop looked like a 3" cylinder that popped up some 12-18" out (of the turret?) for a second to take the measurement, before retracting and the gun would fire. Who knows - maybe it's declassified and he can tell me about it now.
Cheers,
- Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle