Originally Posted by buzz440
Hi All, does anyone know what Pertronix Ignitor kit fits in a Prestolite dual point distributor..... this is for a 1969 440 - 6 pack engine with a dual point prestolite distributor the distributor number is; IBS - 4014C , Chrysler # 2875981 . I went to pertronix web site, not very user friendly & clear as mud, so any help will do, THANKS.

Later, BUZZ

There are several Pertronix applications for the Prestolite dual point application kits I thru III, I don't currently have the mfg's application catalog in front of me, your best course of action is to CALL Pertronix tech, and have your Prestolite tag info available to insure the right application, this is often the problem some encounter when retrofitting their distributor... choosing the wrong kit

If you are using an Ignitor I kit, keep in mind there is no protection for the HallCell, it can be burned out if the ignition is left in the run position for more than 30 seconds without the engine running...

Ignitor II,III have internal protection to safe guard the HallCell

I'd recommend bypassing the ballast resistor for a full 12 volt application when wiring the Pertronix.... otherwise a ballast in the system just defeats/cripples it voltage wise and leaves a weak link in the system, if you wish to retain the ballast for an OEM look, there are ways to defeat it and still keep it in the system, just ask...

No aluminum terminal dist caps, brass only...

DO use the proper ignition coil be it Flame Thrower Pertronix model or other as long as it has the proper ohm/turn ratio value and no internal resistor...personally I prefer the epoxy filled Pertronix Flame Thrower... the kit you choose will determine the Ohm/turn ratio values

Be sure to retain the breaker plate ground strap inside the Prestolite distributor unless the kit you install says to discard it ...

No solid core sparkplug wires...

I've done Pertronix conversions for 3 decades, automotive, heavy equipment, marine applications without a single failure to date.... proper kit, proper installation on quality components is key to avoiding any issues

mike