Originally Posted by 360view
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I paid from $2,03 to $2.29 for diesel from Chicago through Indiana all the way to Florida on I-75 all the way to Ocala, FL. I will be buying regular fuel going back north, figure that one out! LOL

You have previously mentioned you now tow with your gasoline 5.7

Is it true in your experience that when towing something as heavy as a car on trailer
that the cost of regular gasoline per towed mile with a 5.7 V8 Ram 2500
is equal to or less than
towing with a Cummins 2500 Ram?

Today the higher cost of ULSD diesel plus DEF fluid wipes out the engine efficiency advantage of the Cummins?

I left my gas truck in Ocala, FL and we took my buddy's 09 Chevy Duramax 3/4 ton long bed back with an open trailer and a 2001 Cummins truck on it. I got 9.3 MPG towing a 76 Power Wagon Utiline with a 4" lift down on a smaller open trailer. We got 9.8 MPG with the diesel truck, which the Cummins truck and heavier 14K trailer obviously bringing the mileage down a bit., but I still believe it the added cost of the diesel and the fuel being quite a bit more expensive did not make the diesel truck worth the extra money. I think a newer Cummins Ram would probably get a bit better mileage than a Duramax, but not THAT much better.

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!