Originally Posted by carnut68
Anyone else on Moparts been diagnosed with it? I guess I'm just wondering if dragracing is over for me.

My understanding is there are different symptoms in different people. Hope you get that mapped out so you can evaluate what you are capable of.

My Dad is 87 and was diagnosed some 7 years ago.
His symptoms at first were a forward-leaning and short-stepping gait.
This has stayed the same and the progression has brought on an inability to find and speak the right words.
He stops mid-sentence and just can't get the word out. He can describe the word, the definition, just can't form it with his mouth.

Luckily his mind is all there, so I'm used to just taking a good long time on the phone with him. He is a stubborn SOB who hates medicine or any weakness.
He only recently accepted talking about his Parkinson's. He says he's doing OK on his meds, which includes an anti-depressant.
It's a little sad to take sooo long to have a conversation, but like I said I'm just ecstatic he is being treated and that his mind is still all there.

My step-father is 86 and has dementia some 4-5 years now, maybe longer. He's physically OK for his age, but the person he once was is all gone. That is sadder.

Best wishes,
- Art

Last edited by 67SATisfaction; 11/11/20 05:40 PM.

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle