Originally Posted by 451Guy
Good Day!

I realize that this is not a Bracket Racing Forum but this is really the only place that I go on a semi regular basis. This is also the race and engine tech forum so I would expect the majority of you race or have raced. If this topic is not appropriate please remove.

I have a question about staging! I have been racing competitively for more than 30 years and I saw something on the live feed from the SFG race at South Georgia that I have never seen before.

I race in Western Canada so we are in our own little world up here and the majority of us have little opportunity to travel to the big races that we are now seeing streamed on line. However, some of the more fortunate have been going to some of the big races. The popular one for our guys go to is the Spring Fling Million in Vegas. Based on their experiences, some of the guys are bringing back and using some interesting tactics that they witnessed down there. (the only people that steal ideas more than drag racers are the Chinese!!!!).

One of the tactics that I have been seeing recently is when I race certain Dragsters (and for the record the number of them is getting ridiculous!) is they burn out past the starting line and then as they back up they turn on both the stage and prestage lights and the moment they turn off the stage light they stop. Put the dragster in low then stage. The first time I saw it I thought that is a novel Idea and another thing that a dragster or car that can burn out past the start line can do that I cannot in my slow door car.

However, Yesterday over my morning coffee I was watching the 1st round of the free race at South Georgia Motorsports Park and a slow door car did a standard burn out. Stopped. Rolled forward quite quickly through the lights. Stopped then backed up and did the reverse staging thing like a dragster. If I had been in the other lane I would not have staged expecting that he would be ejected for rolling the beams. If I had staged and lost I would have fully expected a rerun at a minimum.

Am I completely off base? Is this something that I just assumed was a rule? Can any car go past the starting line and back up. Is this a sanctioning body rule that is or is not enforced at these new big bracket races?
Inquiring minds want to know! If this is in fact the case and it is legal to do that would definitely be something to throw at your arch nemesis in a big round!!!!!!

If he drove through far enough for the stage light to go out I think at my track the red light would've came on for him.