I've been playing with the 543 build on my computer while I wait for the block to return form the machine shop. Computer dyno software has it's limitations but it should be good for an A to B comparison for properly calculated changes. Knowing this, I modeled my 543 build in Dyno Sim 6 as well as possible. The head flow data came from Hughes website so it may be a little biased. Still, those are the numbers I had so that's what I used. I selected the Hughes SEH3236BL-10 cam for the calculations. It was understood from the start that my old Eddy heads were going to be the choke point on this build.

Knowing the 543 is going to be dragging around 5300 lbs of Imperial wherever I care to go means it's got to be a mild build that still makes plenty of vacuum for power brakes and remain a low maintenance reliable engine.

Check out the projections below. Consider the shift points with a 727 and where the power begins to roll off. Would you pay the $1600 they (or other porting services) want to do a full CNC port job on these heads? The results are on par with their porting results on other common heads.
I don't see massive flow differences between other aftermarket heads below the .550" lift that I'll be playing in.

Thoughts?

Obviously, stock heads are on the left and full CNC ported heads are on the right.

543 port comparison.jpg

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon