Originally Posted by tubtar
Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by mopowers
Thanks for the ideas guys. As far as length goes, do you guys simply put the collector where you want it and connect the dots netting whatever length it takes (obviously within reason).

Are 2" primaries adequate for 600hp?

Depends if you're building dyno headers or car headers. For an early A body header you'll be lucky just to get four tubes into a collector regardless of length, size and number of bends. Those cars are horrible for headers. If you were building a set of dyno headers then 2 inch would be too big for 600 hp and the length is a critical dimension. For an early A body car all the theory goes out the window and you are just left with what you can fit into the car.

Absolute truth.
These are 1 7/8 " primaries , but I took a dull axe to the inner fenders to make room , and it still got really tight on the driver's side.
I did get a nice straight shot before the first bend , and they will go on and off without too much trouble.
Still had to run one tube on each side outside the frame rail and wound up with longer primaries than optimum to get them into the collector.............33 " to 34 " long was as close to equal length as I got , but since I am running mufflers and an X pipe , I don't think it cost me too much in the way of power.
But with the kit , the flanges and coating , I was into them for somewhere around 700.00
And well north of 40 hours............maybe 48 ?
This was my first , and hopefully last time building my own.
If someone could do up a set for 1200.00 , I'd throw in a case of beer and my sincere thanks.

Man, those look awesome!!! I take it you're not volunteering to come do mine? haha! Those photos help a lot! Good thing my time is free, I guess. Who did the coating on yours?

This is what I'm working with. You know what they say - "where there's a will, there's a way."

66 front end.jpg