Originally Posted by jcc
That was interesting, and "colorized" no less. up

My observations, amazing how apparently lightweight the sheet metal SS eagle heads were.

Not a safety belt in sight, wonder what the accident rate was, and done in the Great depression, and wearing Fedoras. eek

My personal relatable experience here was working High Rise construction in Fla during summer school vacations. I got my HS Diploma on a Wed night, and Thursday Am I was on Miami Beach on the 26th top Floor working the "pass line", with my right toes hanging over the edge, meaning we hourly passed up the concrete forms manually from two floors down, ONLY safety equipment we had nearly fifty years later were hard hats, no safety belts, no railings. I have a great respect for heights, but the most uncomfortable adjustment was riding up the exterior open personnel elevator when in the 3-5 floor range of height, at that height the ground was still very much discernible and relatable, but from the 26th floor, it was like looking at a post card of the Grand canyon, hard to relate to, and easier to put out of your mind. One other thing though I noticed in this film, we seldom much talked about the height or danger in failing, which was always there, but few would ever discuss it, like the film does, which is probably just theatrics i suspect. It was also the accepted norm that more men fell off a building during their lunch hours, which upset the rest of the crew because the job would be shut down for rest of the day.
Wow, I bet you have some memories for sure! That's quite a thing; right out of high school! I took a lot longer to grow up! :)I noticed the Fedoras too, and was thinking about those guys being dressed nicer than some people you see out to eat in a restaurant these days.

Facts are stubborn things.