Originally Posted by BSB67
I think the answer to your question is about 8° smaller at the valve (i.e. comparing to a hydraulic). That has always held true for the ones that I have measured and would guess that the 8° rule-of-thumb to be +/- 2° depending on lobe and lash setting.

IMO, if the 220/220 hydraulic is just a little to small, then the 246/246 mechanical will be more than just a little too big.

If your concern is idle quality, you should maybe compare the advertised durations too. Some hydraulic rollers have a pretty big on-ramp.

I think 8 degrees would get me in the ballpark of where I want to be. I'm not concerned with idle quality. This is my 4WD mountain truck. I drive it on the street but in 4WD low in the mountains it runs out of RPM pretty fast. With the wide ratio transmission I end up losing too much RPM. I want to just stick it in 2nd gear in low range and leave it there. So maybe 3000- 6000 RPM range.
The 220/220 cam pulls well from about 1200 to 4000 I just can't seem to find the sweet spot with the gearing. But what concerns me is it being a complete pig on the street below 3000, especially with the wide ratio transmission. I guess I'll find out.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.