Originally Posted by Hotwheelsjr
My brother has a 71 Demon with a 360 and electronic ignition. He's unable to enjoy it because any time he starts it voltage spikes and blows the 30amp fuse he has in place if a fusible link. He's replace the voltage regulator and alternator numerous times to no avail. The high voltage is coming from the alternator. He can pull the wire from the alternator that connects to the big post on the starter relay and he can run the car off the battery all day long. Something else he's noticed is the ballast resistor gets boiling hot, even with the car turned of and key just in the on position. I'm going down there tomorrow with a multimeter and power probe to have a look, but wanted to ask here if anyone has any idea what's happening here. The entire wiring harness in the car is brand new from headlights to taillights. Something is obviously shorted or connected wrong...I'm just not sure what, yet.

Wow....
The “spike” that’s killing the fuse isn’t voltage...it’s current.
It’s not coming from the alternator, it’s coming from the demand (starter and ignition).
Ballast resistors run hot...that’s normal.
As Dakota stated, you can’t use a 30 amp fuse in place of a fusible link...two different animals.

Replace the fuse with a proper link.