Originally Posted by HotRodDave
I refuse to buy a $9000 tool box from the tool trucks, thats nearly as much as a new car (nissan versa or hyundai accent with rebates can be had just over $10,000). I can buy 9 harbour freight boxes for the price of a crap on, smackco or smac and they are way easier to deal with than the tool truck drivers who don't want to come out and deal with warranty issues unless you are spending tons o money on other tools or at least making payments and since I pay cash and not payments they barely come by.

I have had real good luck with craftsman (though the new ones don't seem as sturdy as my 15 year old one) and the US generals. I tried Husky cheap ones but the slides crumple up with anything but feathers in em.

The Icons feel a tiny bit better but not worth 4 or 5 times as much as a US general. The icon tools are no better than my craftsman tools but are almost tool truck price.

I do buy a handfull of tool truck tools, there are somethings that you just need really good stuff, I went through breaker bars like crazy till I steped up and bought a snap on, I even bought a really long 1/2 inch ratchet that holds up better than craftsman or Icon breaker bars do.

Yep, The aftermarket tool boxes have come a long way in the past 20 -25 years. And so have I. My last tool truck box was a Mac. I think it was 60" long lower cabinet. with a really thick wood top. I gave $4500 for it.

Sold it maybe 3 years ago. Took everything I could do to get $1500 for it .

I paid $400 for my 48" husky and have ZERO regrets.

I will say the best 3/8" air ratchet is a Snapon, bar NONE . And worth the price to step up to it if you're trying to make a living with it.