Had one for a number of years and moved it when we bought a new home. We used it "at least" every second day or night - year round. It was outdoors on an open deck. Cold winter nights were the best - especially under clear skies. Maintenance was no big deal. I think we changed the water twice a year. We'd do the chemical maintenance once a week I think and had one of those floating chlorine dispensers. We're considering getting another one but I would go with salt water this time. Leaks are generally only an issue when the unit gets old - like 10 years. Keep in mind the more gadgets and jets, the more potential for problems. If its lit up like a carnival ride there's something to fail. Sound system - you're just asking for trouble. 1,000 jets - you're gonna have issues. And avoid "plug and play" units like the plague - they don't get hot enough or maintain their heat because they're only 110 volt.

What I look for:
- must have a lounger
- depth - if it fits through a door its too shallow
- no crazy number of jets - lower back and shoulders are where you'll appreciate them most
- bubbler is a nice feature
- salt water
- NO funky lights - one in the footwell is sufficient
- NO sound system
- I really like the units where the pump and heating units are under the stairs - more accessible if necessary.