I was planning on draining my water tank because it's starting to make noise. I have heard of problems with the drain valve not working correctly after opening it up. To fix this, I added a hose extension with a spring on it, ball valve, and fitting to accept a hose end. I did test the adapter on the garden hose set up outside and no leaks. Then I read it may need an anode rod replaced. So that poses a few questions.

Should I drain just a bit of water for the flush and remove the anode rod then or flush it first?

I see some are solid and some are collapsible. I have about 40" from top of the tank to the ceiling and some are 42" long. Should I just go collapsible or try to angle it in and hope it goes?

What brand/material rod should I get (magnesium, zinc, aluminum)?

Read to seal the threads with the dope style and not tape, does it matter?

If my tank is roughly 52" tall, does the rod need to go all the way down?

I have a cheap Harbor Freight impact and was thinking of using that to break it loose and finishing removal and installation by hand. Not sure how easy it will be to remove since the tank was installed in 2014.

I have never drained a tank before or changed an anode rod, but they seem simple. I just like to have a good idea on things I may encounter so I don't jack it up and have to call someone to fix it. If I think I may jack something up, I'd rather just pay someone to do it.