Originally Posted by NachoRT74
I'd like to find the way to bann that MAD page about the ammeter "problem", full of missinformation.

JUST UNDERSTAND HOW THE AMMETER WORKS, AND WHAT DO YOU NEED TO RUN IT SAFE and you will be ready to make anything you want still with the "infamous" ammeter system.

voltimeter is not actually a straight reading of the charge status, but a reflection. I won't say is not usefull, but not more than an ammeter.

Once I had a discharge reading on ammeter but 18 volts on batt, and when I disconected the batt, the engine stalled... which gauge was correct ? Amm or Voltmeter ?
Ammeter. You can apply 18 volts to a battery, but if it's bad, no current will go thru it

Just upgrade the amm paths and alt capacity and you will be done with anything you want.

Sure after 50 years of abuse, is time to check the ammeter conditions INSIDE ( Not just the studs outside ) and its isolations sheets. Don't ask they could be perfect now, like a 50 years tires won't be
please read the links I posted.

Your one note why people should NOT charge a Dead battery using Only the car's system was On-Target. It will overload the wiring/ammeter/etc.