Originally Posted by 5thAve
I like the idea of naming things after people to honor them and it's nice how it keeps the memory and history alive.
But with sudden push for changing or removing names and other commemorations to erase history they shouldn't be naming things after people at all anymore. It's gotten so out of hand that there's a town near us that doesn't want to rename itself but they want to declare that it was named after someone else and not the person who it's really been named after for over 200 years.
I may have caved too quickly because the officer is black, and I didn't dare say no. You're right in questioning whether they should take the name away from another. Admittedly, it did cross my mind, when I noticed how young the officer was, that there are probably many officers who put in many more years and had been through so much more, yet were never considered for this type honor. But in today's America, dare question this, and you are a racist! Nevermind that I treat everyone the same, no matter what, until they give me some reason to adjust my behavior. I believe we are all equal, black, white, hispanic etc.and should be treated as such! I do NOT believe, however, that blacks are superior nor that they should be treated as such. It seems now the thinking is turning that way in many cases.

Facts are stubborn things.