No need for a lower bearing. Mopar did that in 68 & 69 and then someone probably said "WTH are we doing?" Theres a bearing up by your steering wheel and the column is FIRMLY attached at the steering box. Why would you need one in the in the middle. Especially with some body flex a bearing in the middle would just bind. Funny thing is they added a lower bearing again in 74 and someone must have said "Hey we tried that in 68 & 69 and it was a bad idea". Also a solid bearing would transmit harshness back up through the column. The upper bearing actually sits in a rubber "isolator" (that I reproduce). And in 68/69 the bearing that they put at the bottom of the column actually had an o-ring on the ID so it wasn't metal on metal. I have an NOS sample of both a 68 and 69. There was actually about a 1/16" of clearance on the OD of this NOS bearing. That "clearance" was taken up by the o-ring. I had a few people return the aftermarket lower column bearings I was reselling because they said they were "sloppy". THEY WERE DESIGNED TO HAVE CLEARANCE! I dont resell them anymore. I just dont have the time to go through all this info each time.

In the picture you can see the "reproduction one above with no intemal o-ring. The NOS one below has the internal o-ring again so it wasnt metal on metal. And yep one year, 68 or 69, was alum (like the NOS one in the picture) and the other year was nylon.

IMG_8995.jpg

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets