i finally had a chance to do a significant amount of welding with this helmet today. i have used it several time while doing easy to do welds on easily accessible areas. but today was the first time i have used it for LONG periods of time in some really tight areas.

i got the lovely job of installing a USED 1/4 panel / rocker panel / rear body panel section on a 2018 jetta today. most people here aren't familiar with these cars so i will try to describe the problem area. what makes the job so bad is the 1/4 panel lip is folded over and glued the outer wheelhouse instead the usual 1/4 panel that has a flat flange where it's spot welded to the wheel house that most are used to seeing.
instead of destroying the 1/4 panel by trying to separate the 1/4 panel from the wheel house i cut the wheel house and left it attached to the 1/4 panel. after repairing the original wheel house outer wheelhouse i cut that so i could over lap both wheel houses and weld it there while the car was still on the frame bench. i was suposed to replace the complete wheel house due to damage but i sectioned it instead. it gets rather difficult doing this while the suspension is still on the car and the body is clamped to the frame rack.

i have to say the large panoramic makes welding in tight areas a walk in the park. the tru color part of the glass was really nice also, i have never used a welding helmet with this feature before.
i have to say it's the best welding helmet i have ever used.
my only complaint is the dimming glass sits much closer to your face than a regular auto dim helmet. the welding respirator will rest against the glass with the helmet in the down position. because of this it fogs up sometimes, never happened on my old helmet. maybe part of it was i really didn't ever have to lift the helmet to help see where i was at while staggering my welds to prevent overheating the weld area, the tru color part really helps when doing this over a regular dim helmet.. i really couldn't do this with my old helmet.

i have to give this helmet a 10 thumbs up satisfaction rating.

Last edited by Mr T2U; 07/24/20 07:10 PM.

perception is 90% of reality