Going out of my mind with my electric fuel pump on my 68 Charger. I am running the HP 125 series pump, mounted on the passenger frame rail just in front of the rear tire. I have the painless relay wiring set up and had it set up with a regulator and no return line initially. I have about 800 miles on it.

About a month ago, not sure if it was a coincidence but during some spirited driving, I hit a pot hole while launching it hard and after the big bang, I lost fuel pressure. The pump still was buzzing like it was pumping but no pressure still.

After disconnecting lines and checking filters which were not clogged, I removed the regulator since this pump is 7PSI and it started working again. I thought that was the issue as it was running fine after that. I then plumbed a return line which I should have done in the beginning due to vapor lock problems last summer and after startup, things looked good, I could hear the fuel going back into the tank from the return line and had a steady 7psi on the gauge.

I was very low on gas so I went to get some and it crapped out on me on the road. Same deal, zero pressure. I could hear the pump buzzing but couldnt hear any fuel flowing back to the tank this time. Literally had my AAA card out and waiting on hold and I checked it again and now I have pressure again.

I quickly did a u turn after starting and about 200 feet from my house it died again, luckily I was going fast and was able to coast into my garage. Same deal, 0 pressure.

I tapped the pump with a small body hammer and it made different sounds and I got pressure again. I thought electric pumps either work or they don't as it is a motor..

Searched the net and found a few guys with the same issues with this pump but no solutions. Thinking of going to a Mallory 110 but I read it is not meant to be used with a return line which doesn't make sense to me.

Avoiding going to a mechanical as I have a modern alternator that is sort of in the way and will need work to make it right. Nevermind all the lines that will have to be re done.

Could I have hurt this pump by not having a return line for a few years? So frustrating!