Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
Originally Posted by skrews
Seems like crankshaft manufacturers don't like the fluid dampers too much.

I've never had a crank comp tell me not to use a certain balancer shruggy
wave

The top guy at SCAT told me once to only use bonded type dampers. He said no FD and no ATI. He only wanted me to use the BHJ style bonded damper with his crank. He said anything else could break the crank. I kind of doubt it is true since ATI dampers are almost every pro built engine I've seen over the last 20 years but that was his story and he stuck with it. Now the story might be different with different engines since the original SBC had a fairly weak snout on it. But it is super rare to see a Mopar big block crank snap off at the front cover. I have seen SB Chevy cranks snap there on multiple occasions. Even on street cars I've seen them snap off.

Nope. Tom is still pedaling that nonsense. He did a webinar recently and he said the exact same thing. I can’t recall seeing a damper break a crank, with the exception of junk like the Moroso aluminum solid damper and I think when the rule came out requiring aftermarket dampers there was one or two other solid dampers. Those killed lots of cranks. And blocks.

You see a damper not doing it’s job very well in the bearings mostly. I suppose if you let your ATI damper go forever and a day without getting it freshened up like they recommend you could have some issues, but that’s not the fault of the damper. That’s a negligent end user.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston