There is a potential problem with using the tensioner on anything other than a magnum series engine. I just built a stroker 410 (73 360 LA, 040 over) and installed a Hughes Pro Gear double roller chain. After carefully degreeing the cam, I installed the tensioner (purchased from Hughes as I did with all my other engine parts). Then, when installing the OIL SLINGER, I noticed the outside diameter of it was hitting the lower corner edge of the slinger... the slinger was not square.. it was at a slight angle because of this interference. So, carefully, I masked and shielded the timing chain setup... and using a Dremel grinder, I removed a small area of that lower tensioner. Now, the slinger clears it, seats squarely... and should be OK.

I questioned Hughes (Rich?, tech line).. and he said the tensioner was never OE intended for anything other than the Magnum series engines (as well as saying they/Hughes never heard of this interference issue.)

After reading more about the potential wear issues of the material, I'm a bit concerned and hope that won't happen to me... time will tell.

PS: I sent a memo to the MOPAR Connection magazine editor about this... but he never replied in any way.

Last edited by Mopar Mitch; 05/26/20 04:27 PM.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!