The divorced transfercase can be done but they were always a bad compromise, another source of vibrations and break points. The only transmission support built into the efi's seems to be for gm 4l's, they couldn't even be bothered to put in a basic converter lock and overdrive control for everything else,unless you go full generic stand alone like motec or syvecs. But think how nice it would be to have a nag1 or better behind the motor.
Imagine a nag1 behind a bb even, what make some of the newer cars so quick is the multispeed transmissions, the close ratio keeps the engine right on top of its power curve. I had a stop light race with a new ram 5.7 against my srt-10 ram with its 48re. The hemi was right with me to 70 mph, it was all its transmission, as we got into the high speeds, power took over and i started walk away from it, but it shows what a multi gear, fast shifting transmissions can do for power delivery. The viper guys always complain about being out of the corners by lowe power porches with the PDK transmissions, the Pdk is like adding a 150 hp to the engine.
For 4x4'ing , much rather have a nag1 first gear then a 727's, the 8 speed is even better. Its a shame to adapt a modern engine then handicap with it an ancient transmission.
ZF needs to make an aftermket transmission with intrchangeable bells and outputs, along with open programming. I suppose the gm 4l builds are kind of going there, but not really with enough output options.