We've had it and minimized by planting tomatoes after soil warms up to 55* overnight temps for a few days, here it's mid may. This is a canning year so we have 12 plants in and hping for a good year.
Never plant in the same location (rotate location every year) and in one area we lacked calcium in the soil so got a bunch of oyster shells and ran them through a antique corn cracker to pulverize and mixed in soil.
We also strip leaves on the lower 1/2 of plant seedling then plant to the bottom of the first set of leaves, water frequently and as plants grow increase (i.e. deep) then as summer wears on start decreasing water frequency, but still water deep ) make wells around plants. Old timer told me that by the end summer no watering is necessary as the roots will go do 20' or more. We cut back, but do not stop. Lastly we take off the first (i.e. low hanging) tomatoes and leaves up about 6".
With all that we still get a few with ber. I also think free draining soil is play a role (more ber with clay soil less with sandy soil).