Originally Posted by joshking440
No, If the track wasnt able to open then I would only loose the money spent on my side up to that point - I wouldnt owe the track anything

Fact is that it takes 450 racers just to cover rental and expenses to put on the race - and everything else to cover the purse -

If the state cant tell you when they are going to open - if you can have spectators (not looking good at this point) that you have to use porto johns (no public restrooms/showers otherwise) it gets to a point where racers are going to only race for trophies or you make a decision to pull the plug -

I wish I could just throw out 130-140k for my closest friends to come race for 3 days (maybe) but economics are real. We work on about 10% profit - If we lose what spectators we currently get - thats 0% margin - if we lose a single racer thats going red - so I made the call.

It really came down to have 1 more race in 2020 and quite potentially go bankrupt - or postpone till 2021 so we can keep it going.... that was the way it went down

Certainly sounds like the most sound decision in your case. Thanks for the explanation. The local Keeneland Conourse event cancelled, great show that I volunteer for every year, similar economics forced the decision due to a lot of participants traveling from across the nation.