Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Originally Posted by ruderunner
As others have posted, the gear pattern looks good. Is this noise load dependent? Louder on acceleration or coasting?

It is load dependent, but up to a certain point. If I am on the highway where I just need to touch the throttle to maintain speed, the noise is nonexistent. Otherwise accel/decel is audible. I also hear it at lower speeds as well.

I do have full exhaust and pretty aggressive sound insulation, so the engine noise is pretty well mitigated. Louder mufflers, loud fuel pump, windows down, etc it wouldn't be problem, but I am trying to make the car the best it can be all-around.

I am going to put some 85w-140 in it and run it, accept it for what it is. I can't justify tearing into the gears to just double-check pinion bearing preload which I had already double-checked before. I'll just chalk it up to it being a hot rod part and there's going to be variance in the parts which I cannot control.

I would definately loosen the backlash to .009. Did you measure the backlash at 4 different points on the ring? Maybe you have some ring gear runout. Changing to 85/140 ain’t gonna do squat for noise...IMO

Last edited by Pacnorthcuda; 04/05/20 12:22 AM.