I managed a police fleet for nearly 20 years (now retired) and transitioned from Crown Vics to Chargers, starting in '06. The early 5.7s suffered from dropped valve seats. FCA fixed that problem with the Eagle 5.7. Don't worry about the seats on your Eagle. However, with the variable valve timing came the cam / lifter problem. Although FCA never confirmed if it was bad cams or the lifters, I am convinced it's the lifter roller's bearing that goes bad and seizes up. Had many of these. FCA ALWAYS took care of them under warranty. If your cam and lifters still appear good, you can change them out with new 6.4 pieces and treat it like any other cam / lifter change out. If you see any wear or loose rollers, that's where you're going to need to really check that engine over for metal pieces. FYI, having the hatch still visible was fairly common on the high mileage cars. Not sure why that is, but I think it has to do with today's, really thin piston rings. Also, some agencies are lax about their preventive maintenance, but you'll find some like mine where we were VERY "preventive" oriented. New cars got an easy break-in period for 500 miles; new oil and filter change at 500 and were released for full duty. VERY rigorous preventive maintenance every 3,000 miles like clock work. To be clear though, police cars get beat to sh*t regardless of how they may have been maintained.