Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Everyone knows, or should know, the best tires go on the front. Especially on a FWD vehicle.

#1 You don't want a blow out on the steering axle.
#2 Front tires typically wear faster. Equalize wear on all 4 tires.
#3 Better control and traction on slick surfaces.

Never been in a shop where this wasn't observed.

Now the rotation procedure for non-directional radial tires is open to debate. Although I use the same old method we were taught years ago.

1) A blow out on either end of a vehicle at 90 mph isn't fun any way you look at it, and yes, I've experienced both. After the shock of the initial discovery of the instant flat, and after the 1st few seconds of driver response, there really isn't much difference, if the proper responses were taken.
2) I had a Buick that must have had a bent rear axle housing, I took tires off the rear end and put them on the front so they would wear straight.
3) Apparently you have never experienced a loss of traction on the rear on wet pavement on a curve. If you loose front traction on a curve, you tend to go straight, but if you loose rear traction on a curve, the odds of rear end coming around past the front end are pretty high. Once the rear comes past the front, you are pretty well out of control and are along for the ride. You could have a completely different opinion. Gene