Maybe the key is brand new vs OEM, and I would certainly agree that a clutch type is better, but I've had this one in my car for about 5 years, and I've blown up the ring and pinion/popped the main caps, but the carrier has been fine. And it takes well over 100 ft lbs to make it slip, or at least it did when I put it together. It was worn out when I got it dirt cheap and I milled the cones .030 and put a .030 shim behind them. In fact the carrier is all beat up from the pinion gear when the original crush sleeve failed and the pinion nut backed off. It paints even stripes in 1st and even into 2nd, and 3rd gear with the 4 speed with a little gap in between for each shift.

Maybe it would have failed if I actually brought it to the track with it instead of bench racing it, the car doesn't hook well on the street in 1st or 2nd, even with slicks, so maybe that is a contributor too. But I see these things take a beating on this forum all the time. My limited experience is that they don't seem nearly as bad as they can be made out to be.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 03/17/20 10:45 AM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street