Originally Posted by gtx6970
I used to have one of the NOS metal valves mentioned here,,, back when I had my challenger and I saw NO WAY it would mount to the inner fender like the red/black phenolic valves does. I got lucky and found one nos valve in the 1970 part number box ( found it on ebay not to long after I bought the car in the mid / late 90s time frame ) and it was the red / black valve. Its what was on the car when I sold it

MY personal opinion ( Its worth what you paid for I know ) is the 70-71 had the bake light valves ,, metal came later.

I would agree. From what I can figure, the only difference between 1970 and 1971 would not be in the red/black valve vs the metal one, but the different metal bracket to mount that valve to the fender. 1971 production(after all the 1970 ones were used up) had a notch in the passenger side fender with a hole in that notch for mounting the bracket, where the water valve was attached to it. 1970 as you know, did not have that notch. The mounting brackets are very different for 1970 and 1971. I can post a picture of the 1970 version tonight if no one else posts one before then.