The whole thing is a scam from the get-go...

It's a law you must have it but maybe 20% of people out there don't...

God forbid something does happen cause when it does your gonna get hosed...

Seems to me when my Mercedes (93 190E 4 door 4cyl beater) got totaled a bunch of years back that I was told by the other drivers insurance that if I could show proof of receipts for non normal maintenance over the last 90 days they would consider that as an added value that would be pro-rated.

I had a few receipts but most were maintenance items...After the accident the car ran fine but had a bent up fender and bumper along with a busted grill and h/light bezel...I ended up driving it for another 4 or 5 months telling them when they bring me a car to replace this one they can have it... argue

They were scrapping it anyway so I waited them out as long as I could...sold the newer tires and put the bald ones back on...swapped the new battery with the one that wouldn't hold a charge for more than a couple days....removed all the new LED lights and put the old bulbs back in...

Took the tags back to DMV and cancelled the insurance and the next day they picked it up and sent it on its way...

I don't care what company it is...anytime you get hit by someone else and your car is an older car you are going to take the high hard one...It doesn't matter that it was a great car and was paid for or whatever you'll never get enough value back from an insurance company to replace it... twocents

Personally I'd like to see an insurance company offer agreed value coverage for a daily driver...it might be worth a few extra bucks a month knowing that if something does happen your not going to get hosed... shruggy

...FAFO...