Hi Guys -

Wifey was sitting at a stoplight the other night and a woman drove into the back of her. Now the car is old, a fully loaded 2001 Buick Park Avenues with a 136 K on the clock, but it is mechanically solid, previously undamaged, and rust free.

The Allstate adjuster ( the other driver's company) looked at it today and estimated the damage at $2800 and the value of the car at $2042. I see similar cars, not as well equipped as this one going for $2500ish.

Here is what I don't understand. If I opt to keep the car they deduct a $300 "salvage" fee and only pay me $1742. HUH??? They want to withhold $300 they might get selling the $2000 car they "buy" from me ?

AND they will only pay the $1700 AFTER I have the car inspected by MVD and show them a new salvage title ($75 fee to MVD and waiting in line). They tell me it will likely not be granted a new salvage title unless I fix the trunk that will not close. Am I not entitled to the reimbursement for the full (underestimated) value of the car of regardless of what Allstate does with it? What if I want to keep the car and part it out myself?