Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
The first incarnation of my 340 used L2316’s.

With the fairly good sized Crane Hyd cam I had for it, I discovered the valve pockets weren’t generous....... and since I had the short block all assembled and didn’t want to take it all apart to flycut the pistons, I ended up having to install a smaller/wider cam in the motor.

My point is....... the stock replacement style pistons aren’t as accommodating for bigger cams as what newer design HP pistons would be.

If you’re not planning on putting too much cam in it....... it probably won’t be an issue.

The TRW’s are heavy...... about 890g piston and pin.
A set of SRP’s would be over 200g lighter .... each(almost 4lbs lighter for the 8).

I wanted to keep machining to a minimum with trying to go with some pistons and milling them down. More I see it a 416 or a 372 might be a cheaper option then trying to achieve what I want to do. I am looking at a fairly roudy solid roller camI (NT/EXH - Dur @ .050” Lift: 258°/262° RR: 1.5/1.5 Gross Lift: .624”/.627” LSA: 108° RPM: 3000 to 7000 Redline: 7500) Would also like to keep the rotating mass down too and make it live.

73 Duster 340 a518 6pack