I've been to the race for 12 consecutive years and spend a large part of the month of May at the track. This late in the game, seating options through the box office may be limited. It's worth calling the track office to see what they have, but the Indy 500 ticket exchange should have a lot to chose from on the secondary market.

The best seats in the place are penthouse on the front straight or turn one, but they go to very senior annual ticket holders and sell for pretty big money on the secondary market. I've moved around a bit over the years, but I've settled in to mid way up in the Southwest Vista, section J, just past turn one. From there, I can see cars coming out of the pits, through turn 1 and 2, and just into the back stretch. Not the greatest seats in the place, but the best I've been able to find with my seniority level. I tried turn 4 in 2016 and didn't care for it.

I come in from the north, and typically park in an open (free) lot in a business plaza at the intersection of Georgetown and Lafayette. It's a decent walk to the track, but the closer you get, the more gridlock you experience, coming and going. Don't expect to find a hotel room at a reasonable price anywhere near the track at this point.

When you get there, make sure you're early enough to walk to the Pagoda in the infield to check out the midway and souvenir areas, and while it'll be crowded on race day, the museum is always worth seeing.