Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I think that anyone who lives in a large urban center should be forced to buy an EV. If what said above is a positive, that the bulk of emissions are in these areas, then eliminate all ICE vehicles in cities and let us drive whatever the heck we want everywhere else...

That's more or less what some areas are doing by announcing ICE bans in urban areas in the future. But, I don't really like that idea, since by the time the bans go into affect (2030+), EVs should be much more competitive with ICEs, so like Andy, they'll be bought because they're better, not just because of pollution or a desire to "go green".

Originally Posted by AndyF
I've had a Leaf for a few years now and I think electric cars are great for a bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with pollution or being "green". Almost zero maintenance, charge at home, quiet, simple, no warm up period, lots of torque at low speed, heater and defrost blow hot as soon as you start the car, no exhaust system to rot out, brakes last a long time due to regen braking, used EVs are super cheap to buy, etc.

I see these future bans as furthering a sort of "urban vs rural" divide, which leads to opinions like this:

Originally Posted by Jjs72D
If I knew that electric vehicles did not mean the end of gasoline powered vehicles, I'd sure have more of an open mind to them.

I can see a point in the future where EVs are price and usefulness comparable, so most people will choose them, at least for daily drivers. At that point, the remaining emissions from the ICE vehicles shouldn't be enough to really worry about.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.